Sunday, January 16, 2011

Bake-a-thon 2011: Eggnog Bundt Cake

In keeping with my desire to try and find recipes that use ingredients I already have, and need to make use of, I chose this Eggnog Bundt Cake recipe from The Sisters Cafe.  It is the end of the eggnog season here, and I had some left that just needed to go, and who could resist eggnog and cake together?

It was surprisingly easy and quick to make.  I have to say though, I was highly underwhelmed by the eggnog flavour.  In reality it just tasted like a yellow cake, with perhaps just a hint (a very very mild hint) of rum.  That is not to say that it wasn't good, it was tasty, just not in the eggnoggy way I was hoping.  The kids loved it, and came back for seconds.

It was great with the caramel sauce, and I added a little whipped cream to "jazz" it up.  All in all an enjoyable dessert, but simply a disappointment in the eggnog department.

Eggnog Bundt Cake
from The Sisters Cafe

Eggnog Bundt Cake

1 yellow cake mix (preferably with pudding in the mix)
3 T. flour
2 c. eggnog
¼ c. butter, softened
2 eggs, slightly beaten
¼ tsp. rum extract*
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Beat until smooth and creamy. Pour into greased** bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 35-45 minutes. Dust lightly with powdered sugar for presentation.

Caramel sauce
:
½ lb brown sugar (~1 1/8 c.)
½ lb butter
½ lb powdered sugar (~2 cups)
½ T. cinnamon
½ qt. rich vanilla ice cream

Melt together over medium heat. Pour warm over individual servings immediately before serving.

* I used imitation rum, as this was the only option available at our local commissary.

** I know not everyone enjoys this, but I highly recommend that you grease (usually with shortening or butter) and flour your bundt pan.  I think this makes it much easier to get out  of the pan in one piece and gives you a much better presentation.

No comments: