Sunday, February 27, 2011

French Dip Sandwiches

I love crock pot meals...easy to get going and less fuss (and mess) for me.

I found this recipe for French Dip Sandwiches on Jamie Cooks It Up!  My family loves sandwiches...they love meat...how could this go wrong?

Now, I am no expert on roasts.  I don't know one cut from another, so I stood befuddled in the meat section of the grocery store for a good 15 minutes before I finally picked one.  I went for a silverside roast (and NO, I have no idea what that means).

I only purchased a one kilo roast (that is about 2 1/4 pounds for my American friends), as our family is not that big.  I kept all the proportions of the original recipe, and I let the meat cook for 9 hours on high in my crockpot.

I took the meat out (about one hour before serving) and shredded as directed.  I added a packet of Au Jus Gravy mix to the juices (and stirred well) before putting the shredded meat back in to "soak" for that last hour.

We left the cheese out, but toasted the buns ( I used sesame seed topped Kaiserbroetchen rolls) under the grill in my oven.  I served the sandwiches with chips (ummm, that is French Fries for you non-English folks) and rootbeer (yummmmmmm, rootbeer).

The sandwiches were absolutely delicious!  The kids had a few bites and mostly stuck to the bread, but I was hooked.  I'm not usually a big fan of meat (I have texture issues), but this was good.  The sauce was awesome as well!

If you are looking for a quick easy meal to make, this is a great idea.  You can adjust for big or small crowds!

Time: 10 minutes prep + 6-9 hours in the crock
Yield: 8 servings

1  3-4 pound beef roast
1  T olive oil
salt and pepper
2  1 oz packages Lipton Onion Soup mix
4  C hot water
beef bullion cubes
8  rolls (something with a good sturdy crust on it)
Provolone, Swiss or Mozzarella Cheese Slices (optional)
softened butter

1. Heat up a large skillet. Add the olive oil to the pan.
2. Sprinkle your roast with salt and pepper and place it in the pan. Let it get nice and seared on each side.
3. Place the roast in your crock pot. Sprinkle the Onion Soup mix over the top. 
4. Let your bullion cubes dissolve in the hot water and then pour it over the roast.
5. Put the lid on your crock and cook on high for 6-8 hours. Take the roast out and shred it up with a fork about 1 hour before you are ready to serve. Put the shredded beef back in the crock and let it cook in all those yummy juices for the last hour.
6. Spread just a bit of softened butter on your rolls. Toast them on a griddle. Then add the meat and some cheese if you'd like.
7. Pour the hot juices left in the crock into small bowls for dipping.

No comments: