Tuesday, January 8, 2008

CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE

1 lg. onion, chopped
3 tbsp. butter
1 13 oz. can evaporated milk
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 4 oz. cans green chilies, chopped
3 5 oz. cans boned chicken
12 corn tortillas
2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Saute onion in butter. Add evaporated milk and chicken soup. Stir until smooth. Add chilies and chicken. Stir all together.

Grease a 9x13 inch glass cake dish. Line dish with 6 tortillas, pour half of chicken mixture over them and sprinkle with half the grated cheese. Repeat layers with remaining tortillas, chicken mixture and cheese.

Cover dish loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Makes 6 servings.

Note: I don't do the onion part, which means you wouldn't need the butter either. I just start by smoothing together the evaporated milk and cream of chicken soup, and then continue on.

We also substitute boiled chicken breasts for the canned chicken--2 breasts for 9x13 pan or 1 for 8x8. After boiling (cooked all the way through) we then shred them with forks. You could also just cook chicken normally and then chop it manually, it would just make the chicken in bigger pieces than if you had shredded it.

Also, for a 9x13 pan, I use about 18 tortillas. This recipe has you do just 2 layers, but I do as many as I want. I just make a flat layer of tortillas across the pan, then pour some of the sauce on, and then continue til I run out of sauce (make sure you leave enough for the top of the last layer). I also just put as much cheese as I want on each layer.

Also, this recipe says to grease the bottom, but it's better if you put a thin layer of sauce across the bottom of the pan instead of greasing it.

No comments: